Bob Bob is offline

Default Dreaming and the basics of how to start

Woodsy wrote:

My wife and I will be in South Florida for vacation the week
of Christmas, and would like to look at ?catamarans? capable of a
circumnavigation.

I suggest ya read teh post titled Cat Capsized off Oregon coast before
comitting to a cat capable of a round the world.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...GHUN14OU18.DTL

How many upside down cat stories are necessary for people see a
pattern?!?

We would not be able to purchase before next fall,
hinging on the sale of everything we own to accomplish this dream.

As soon as I see the word "dream" I get worried.

Is there a polite way to view boats in the $100k to $150k range while
not feeling that we are taking advantage of some brokers time, or a
private individual's time, knowing that the boats we look at will have
been sold by then? (I also wonder if SO will be able to handle the
small quarters)

Just say what ya just said. Let the owner/broker make the choice.

Is it realistic to think that a well equipped boat, with $100k in the
bank will last? 5?, 10?, 20 years till social security kicks in?

Sure. $!00,000 x .055 = $5,500/year.
But is SSI sis the only thin ya got for later.......?

Which breangs me to anothe queston.

So how are all thoes "writer and sailing experts" in the sailing
magazines who have "zillions of miles under their keel" and did
everything and are experts in all things that float going to live after
they are too old to work? I am assuming they did not bank much in 40
years of sailing and writing 500 word articles for $200 each.

Any clues?

Looking for input, thank full for your time.
Frank and Gail.

Try the "crusing simulator" posted her a few years back.

(and is "Gail Wins" a bad name for a boat?)

No worse than "wet spot" or "breaking wind"

--

Woodsy,
Off the Grid, Off the Road, Off my Rocker...