posted to rec.boats.building
Don Dando Don Dando is offline

Default Boat Engines

"It's all in maintenance". We may differ slightly on that position. You
will find that an engine built for auto use has a much different camshaft
than does one built for marine use. It is understandable if you visualize
the difference in acceleration in each application. Automotive cams do not
provide good marine performance. I have proven that several times with Chev
350's auto engines placed directly into marine applications (I/O).

Don Dando

"Steve Morrisby" wrote in message
Thanks to everyone for those links to other suppliers and for your
comments. They were all well noted!.

Yesterday I talked to my car mechanic about continuous duty engines. He

said
they did not really exist but likened it to aero engines which are

required
to run for long periods at a time without missing a beat.

"Yes" he said "they are built to exacting specifications and components

are
replaced after a recorded period long before they fail."
"What about old VW and Subaru engines which are used in home builds" I

asked
"They are usually rebuilt or modified by dedicated and highly competent
amateurs and maintained to a very high standard" the mechanic replied.

So. A continuous duty engine is one that is well built (ie almost any new
engine) and maintained to a high standard (hey I do that to my car

already).

It's all in the maintenance!.

Steve