Gould 0738

Default Battery Meter

Now wait a minute there Gould!

First of all - if the poster is talking about an outboard - particularly an
older outboard, and he is talking about voltage when the engine is running,
the 14.8 volts might be very typical.

I saw nothing in the OP to indicate inboard, outboard, or otherwise.

Not ideal, but common with outboard
charging systems. Voltage regulation is often very loosey -goosey on some
outboards.

Could you please elaborate on your comment, "Your voltmeter will read at a
higher number than the battery's state of charge when there is current from
the alternator present."

I hope you mean to the limit set by the voltage regulator. If for some
other reason, please explain.

Eisboch

Yes, if the system is functioning properly up to the limit set by the voltage
regulator.
14.8 seems a tad high for the regulator....

but as you say we don't know about many things here.

when the voltage reads 14.8

type of battery....flooded, gel, or AGM

inboard vs outboard

etc.