posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm derbyrm is offline

Default Expense per foot

My older edition of "Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction: Wood and West
System Materials" has a section addressing costs. I see they're updating it
(from 1985 with addendum) to 2006. Not a cheap book, but a good value for
anyone using any epoxy.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Guy" wrote in message
s.com...
When you do your analysis, I would greatly appreciate knowing the
results. I think it's about $1 per square foot. Even two or three
times that is not a great expense, compared with the entire cost of
building. Therefore, I agree with advice given earlier: If the cost
of fiberglassing a wooden boat intimidates you, you shouldn't be
building one.

On the other hand, a cataloge of all boatbuilding costs is worth having
in order to facilitate decision making. If you can chip away at the
cost of every component, it should make make a difference.

One source of less-than-reliable information is Michalak's essay "Boat
Costs" which can be found in a wonderful collection through any of the
following links:

http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/#INDEX
http://marina.fortunecity.com/breakwater/274/
http://marina.fortunecity.com/breakw...Index.htm#BOAT
COSTS

The information is faulty only because it is dated, and because
Michalak was understandably too busy to carefully research the
question. I have high regard for him.

Guy Vandegrift
http://faculty.valpo.edu/gvandegr/

mscres wrote:
Thanks, I went to the site and got the book.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Prod...ml#SystemThree