Ernie

Default Battery Meter

Let me clarify my 14.8 situation. I do have a new 90HP Merc outboard and
battery purchased last June and the battery was fully charged when I got
that reading. Does that justify that type of reading and is there anything
I can do without pulling the boat out water?

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 May 2004 15:56:34 GMT, "Ernie"
wrote:
I shall try again.
My boat's gauge and my garmin 220 fishfinder both read 14.8. Is this too
high and should I be concerned?

Yes it's too high. Check you're batteries after you've been running
for a while. If there are gas bubbles around the battery plates
and/or low electrolyte levels you should be concerned. 14.8 volts
will cause a great deal of electrolyte loss and plate damage if
applied for an extended period of time. It can also damage other
electrical and electronic devices if they are sensitive to high
voltage. Several years ago I had an issue with failing electric fuel
pumps on my generator. The problem was eventually traced to a
defective voltage regulator which was causing the generator battery to
charge at 14.6 volts. It took 3 fuel pumps and a lot of aggravation
before the problem was fixed.