Eisboch

Default Battery Meter

"Gould 0738" wrote in message

I shall try again.
My boat's gauge and my garmin 220 fishfinder both read 14.8. Is this too
high and should I be concerned?

When does it read 14.8?

When the alternator is running?

Your voltmeter will read at a higher number
than the battery's state of charge when there is current from the

alternator
present.
You won't get a reading that reflects only the battery voltage until you

have
discoed the charger or alternator current.

Now wait a minute there Gould!

First of all - if the poster is talking about an outboard - particularly an
older outboard, and he is talking about voltage when the engine is running,
the 14.8 volts might be very typical. Not ideal, but common with outboard
charging systems. Voltage regulation is often very loosey -goosey on some
outboards.

But, my main question is:

Could you please elaborate on your comment, "Your voltmeter will read at a
higher number than the battery's state of charge when there is current from
the alternator present."

I hope you mean to the limit set by the voltage regulator. If for some
other reason, please explain.

Eisboch