posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default The Dana 24

Steve Dooley wrote:

I was thinking of a multiple battery system, 3 batteries with an
isolator in between. Someone mentioned getting rid of the isolator and
hooking the batteries in a delta configuration to increase the power
output. I can't find any references on this, can someone help?

Batteries are quite simple. A small dedicated starting battery, plus
a large house bank, sized to handle at least two days' usage, the
bigger the better. Allow for cross-connecting in a crisis. Hook all
charge outputs directly to the house bank, feed the starter bat with
an Echo-Charge (this means the strap between the alternator and
starter solenoid should be broken).

Isolators are a waste of energy, combiners mean the starter bank is
overcharged.

I have no idea how a "delta configuration" would apply to batteries
(as opposed to motors or transformers).

If I run an automatic water making system should I turn it off when
discharging the head/holding tank?

maybe.

Steve Dooley (I do not even know who Tom Dooley is)

Hang down your head!