Michael

Default '93 V-6 115hp Johnson, alarm and no choke prob

Hello all! I'm more experienced with jetboats actually but my mom has me
working on her '93 Seaswirl bowrider with a 115 hp V-6 Johnson outboard
engine.

The engine is impossible to start cold... I'm pretty sure the electric choke
isn't working. Taking the cover off the engine I see a round solenoid like
object on the upper right side of the engine (above the carbs) to which
there are 3 fuel lines going and it has a small dial on top of it with a red
indicater thingy... if turned full counter-clockwise the engine will start
(but will load up on fuel after about 30 seconds and sputter out). After
starting if the red indicater thingy is manually moved full clockwise the
engine will run very well. Further the engine will restart with no problems
once it's warmed up. This solenoid has a purple wire with white stripe
running to it... but this wire seems to have no power. There is a push
button in the center of the shifter that I'm guessing should send power to
that solenoid to choke the engine, but I've checked with a testlight and it
doesn't seem to send any power to that purple/white wire. Grrrrr! :-(

Also, after the engine has been running 120 seconds or so a beeping sound
begins. I have the engine hooked up to a waterhose (with that clamp thingy
on the lower unit to supply cooling water to the engine)... the water coming
out of the engine does not feel more than lukewarm to the touch. But if I
turn off the engine and then start it again the beeping resumes after
another 120 seconds or so. Water is coming out several small holes on the
lower unit, and 1 small hole at the base of the powerhead (I think I saw it
referred to as a "****er" by somebody in another thread... LOL!).

Are there any good reference materials available online for this motor? Just
some kind of exploded view with labels would be terribly helpful! I know
little about these powerhead engines, as I've always had my jetboat with the
454 big block (God but it's sooo much simpler to figure out I swear!!!).

Thanks!

ps. The gas in the tank is pre-mixed 50:1 with Johnson oil. There is no oil
injector unit/tank anywhere I can find on this boat so I premixed the oil
into the gas myself. My mom long since lost all the manuals that came with
the boat. Grrrrrrr! :-\

- Michael