posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] FJ_2102@yahoo.com is offline

Default The Dana 24

Steve wrote:
After looking at many, many pocket cruisers, examining my needs once
again and listening to some rock solid advice given here, I've decided
the best cruiser for me is the Dana 24:

http://www.pacificseacraft.com/dana24.htm

Nice boat.
But I don't recall anyvbody here advising you to get one. Seems to me
you asked about "trailerable" boats, which the Dana 24 is not (unless
you define the term very loosely).

..... What
are the advatanges and disadvantages of the cutter rig?

Advantage: comes with a staysail already rigged.

Disadvantage: the staysail is too low & too far forward for best usage
as a storm sail. Added windage. Added complexity. Reduced efficiency
sailing to windward.

Some folks will say that the cutter rig is stronger. And they're right,
within the constraints of 1890s technology. In a modern small boat,
there is really no sound engineering reason to choose a cutter over a
sloop.

Is it smart to
use roller furlings for both sails?

A matter of taste. Personally, I would not. The big outer jib could
profitably be set on a roller furler, the smaller inner staysail is
likely to be too small to need one, and the extra rigging will get
underfoot.

What is typical water usage per
person per day?

For survival, one pint.
For non-survival, drinking only, about 3 pints (outside the tropics)
For actual living, anywhere from 2 gallons (for good campers) on up. My
wife & I use an average of about 10 gallons a day for the two of us,
we're relatively careful to conserve but not skimpy. The average
American uses about 25 gallons a day in the home (no doubt this average
is driven up by watering the lawn & washing the car, but you get the
idea).

Will the extra water tank option change the balance of
the boat?

Yes

Can I convert the water tank into a diesel tank?

Yes.
Converting it back may be a bit more of a problem.

Does anyone
here own one?

Not that I know of. However I've had several friends who have owned
them, and there's one in our marina now.

Thanks in advance for all your knowledgeable help!

You're welcome.

Steve Dooley

Are you related to Tom Dooley?

Injun Ear (formerly known as Eagle Eye)