Rich Hampel Rich Hampel is offline

Default Raster charts now free

There is an inherent DANGER in using ENC/vector charts.
You have to carefully note the 'magnification' of the original chart
and not exceed this limit as OVERMAGNIFICATION will result in some
pretty strange errors of 'resolution'.

One must remember that the 'basis' of many of the charts were leadline,
pelorous, etc. and to simply OVERMAGNIFY them can get you into serious
trouble real fast as the overmagnification is easy .... and very
foolish. Resolution errors are very easy to do on most of the NOAA
charts .... an example would be trying to read a 'yardstick' down to
0.001 inches. or reading a simple mercury theermometer to 0.01 degress.
You can do so with graphical magnification .... but the answer is
nearly ALWAYS wrong.

In article , Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 13:22:14 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

The vector charts are also more difficult to
use, but that's a personal opinion. To me, vector charts just don't look
real; on my computer console a vector chart reminds me of a video game.

I agree with you on the appearance of vector charts but they have a
couple of advantages also that are not immediately obvious. For one,
they can be zoomed in or out to what ever degree of detail is
appropriate without becoming pixelated or having the type fonts
become too small. Another advantage is that they can be
electronically rotated and still have the fonts appear right side up.