NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default Re-power question ,, as to engine etc

Roger ,,, what size in hp is your Yanmar?

===============================
"Roger Long" wrote in message
NE Sailboat wrote:

If a 16 cylinder Beta fits the same beds as the Atomic 4, it should be
perfect. A friend who did a lot of research and listened to my various
bits of advice is re-powering his boat with a Beta. The engines and
installation get a lot of individual attention that is usually lacking
when you buy from a big outfit like Yanmar. I suspect the basic design of
the Yanmar might be better but I'd put a Beta in my boat in a minute if I
needed a new engine.

There are reasons to give up gas now that go beyond simply blowing
yourself up and the constant worry and care needed to keep you and your
boat in one piece. As more and more ethanol and other weird
anti-pollution additives are put in gas, it is rapidly becoming a pretty
poor marine fuel. It breaks down quickly, attacks components that weren't
designed by car makers who saw ethanol coming a decade or more ago.

About the only advantage to a gas engine is that you can have power almost
instantly without warming up. You can use the engine to get out of a jam
in an emergency without hurting it. Diesels need a few moments of warming
up. If you sail off a mooring or are sailing into a tight spot where you
might need to use the engine, you should warm it up for a few minutes just
in case. This is less of a pain though than all the bilge checking
necessary before starting a gas engine.

--
Roger Long