posted to rec.boats.building
Terry K Terry K is offline

Default Boat Engines

max camirand wrote:
snip

To get around the gearbox problem, why not couple the engine to a
hydraulic pump and use a hydraulic motor with a thrust bearing to drive
the prop shaft? With a short run of hose, I don't know if the energy
lost would be great. You could use your main engine to power a bow
thruster that way, too.

Just a thought.

-Max Camirand

Sounds like a good plan, but I think the cost will bite you. You will
need to engineer the pump, motor and prop combination. You might best
fund a college research program, or ask around the fishing docks.

Oh yeah, all that pumpery will be heavy.

Terry K