JimB JimB is offline

Default Re-power question ,, as to engine etc

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
I may, or may not repower my boat. But, if I was to, where would
one start in a search for a new small diesel to repower a
sailboat?

Is there a trick to finding a deal? Boat shows? I seem to
remember someone here mentioning boat show specials.

I am going to keep my eyes open for a small ( 16-20 hp ) diesel
. If I see a good deal, snatch it up. Then take my time
putting in in after taking out the old.

A different make of engine usually means a new engine bed, perhaps
re-alignment of the shaft exit, almost certainly a new gearbox,
re-machined shaft and propeller. Controls and wiring also need to
be considered. These jobs will add up to a good percentage of your
costs, so it's worth considering a re-build of your existing
engine as one option.

If you're convinced of the need for change, then start narrowing
down the engines you'd consider by checking out all the factors
above, looking for the maximum consistency and easy adaptations.

So, starting point - what will fit?
Next, what will fit with less effort?
Then, get down to the search, bearing in mind the cost of all
those alterations . . . deals are unlikely to offset those!
--
JimB
http://www.jimbaerselman.f2s.com/