Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Re-power question ,, as to engine etc

In article wQmfh.3316$it5.2139@trndny06,
"NE Sailboat" wrote:

I may, or may not repower my boat. But, if I was to, where would one start
in a search for a new small diesel to repower a sailboat?

Is there a trick to finding a deal? Boat shows? I seem to remember someone
here mentioning boat show specials.

I am going to keep my eyes open for a small ( 16-20 hp ) diesel . If I see
a good deal, snatch it up. Then take my time putting in in after taking out
the old.

But, where to keep those eyes looking .. that is the question.

If you have a diesel, rebuild it or get a rebuilt one. Otherwise, see if
your boat had a drop-in diesel when it was built and concentrate on that
series, as making up a proper new bed is either no fun or very expensive.

A modern diesel would require replacing just about everything, which
jacks up the price.

We repowered with a Yanmar over a decade and LOVE it, but if we knew
what we know now, I'd have gotten a rebuilt Volvo MD and new prop,
saving a bunch of B.O.A.T. bucks.

--
Jere Lull