posted to rec.boats,alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats.cruising
Gilligan Gilligan is offline

Default Klein Bottle (Navigation on weird worlds)

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
ups.com...

Roger Long wrote:
You would probably enjoy making your own mobius strip. Much cheaper and
easier to understand. You'll usually get a light going on expression
when
you trace around it and show someone that it only has one surface.

--
Roger Long

When I was 13, I was obsessed with Mobius strips in every fashion, I
made them from paper, plastic. soldered metal, etc. I tried to make a
Klein Bottle without the "junction" by joining the edge(s) of a mobius
strip with strips and fastening them together, tried to make part of a
Projective Plane, etc. My kids do not share this obsession.

Any Mobius strip you can build has two surfaces, not one. Don't forget to
include the edge (which interestingly it has only one).

The only closed solid with one surface where there is a "hole" in the center
is a torus.

So if one takes a multiple pulley system with a mechanical advatange of 8
and replaces the line with straps sewn to be mobius strips does the
mechanical advantage become 16 or 64?

Gilligan