posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Don White Don White is offline

Default Real life danger...

mr.b wrote:
On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 20:01:37 -0800, Tim wrote:

another article says:

"...Laura Gainey, 25, was swept off the Picton Castle on Friday night. She
wasn't wearing a life jacket or a survival suit...."

Tells a lot right there. I doubt if they find her.

Let's try not to blame the victim here. According to the capt she was in
an area on the stern he referred to as a storm deck, a "safe" and
appropriate place for her to be in these conditions. Short and long: She
could have been swept off by the same wave wearing a pfd and/or "survival
suit" and still not be found.

When it gets the least bit rough... even within sight of land, I wear my
PFD with VHF, GPS, signal whistle and mirror reflecting device all
attached by lanyards.
If I'm going in...I plan on making a lot of noise. If anyone's within 4
miles or so, at least they'll save my body from the fishes.