chuck chuck is offline

Default Battery charger question

Larry wrote:
"Roger Long" wrote in
:

For that matter, now that I've confirmed that they aren't leaking into
the electrical system somewhere, I could probably just leave them till
spring. If they last 5 years instead of 6, I wouldn't be too upset.
1/5 of the cost of two new ones is about the cost of the gas and
sandwiches to go up to the boatyard every month for five years.

If they go on float quite quickly, reduce your trips to 60 days and try
it. Let's also just DISCONNECT the ground post off of them, taking them
completely out of the circuit, leaking or not. It's safer, reduces any
leakage and galvanic action on any of the parts that get wet during the
storage. Just hook the ground post back, recharge, and remove it again.
The charger, itself, is a load caused by its measuring circuit. It's
minute but that adds over time. West Marine has a disconnect knife
switch I'd want on mine if I had to store it. Put it in the negative
lead right at the post, making this process simpler. I know someone who
took this one step further for a safety feature. He has a little lanyard
on the knife switch going up into his cockpit with a knot on the end of
it. If there's any kind of fire below, he can disconnect his batteries,
completely, by pulling on that knot....assuming the lanyard doesn't burn
first. Maybe a little wire would be better for him.

Grease the knife switch to prevent corrosion.

Larry

Unless you have an automatic 12 volt bilge pump! You don't want to put
the boat at risk to pamper the batteries.

Chuck