posted to rec.boats.building
Steve Morrisby Steve Morrisby is offline

Default Boat Engines

Ah yes!. I did not consider that the marine engine is continuous duty. Considering that fact the cost is probably justified.

Referring to Max Camirands posting, I also wondered about air cooling. Deutz built a fine range of air cooled engines, and it would keep the boat nice and warm!. But I am still up against the continuous duty problem.

Thanks for all your input.

Steve

"Richard van den Berg" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 20:25:06 GMT Steve Morrisby
) wrote:

I have been looking at the UK market for a 75HP marine inboard engine. Those
that look good are products from Volvo, Betamarine and Lombardini, but what
a price!. I struggle with the fact that my new car cost less than one of
these and that got me to thinking if I could do it myself.

That's possible, but remember above companies sell complete products,
e.g. engine, cooling system, gearbox and control panel.

What are the pitfalls in "marineising" a good used truck engine, are
aftermarket kits sold and what about marrying the gearbox to the engine bell
housing.

Used gearboxes are rare, bell housings even more, you'll pay full for
them. I know what I'm talking about: the single coupling to replace the
old worn coupling http://qatsi.ath.cx/cgi-bin/foto/438/76.jpg is half
the price the used gen-set http://qatsi.ath.cx/cgi-bin/foto/401/06.jpg
did cost.

I seem to recall reading a thread on this subject some years back, but at
the time I was not too interested. Now of course I cannot find threads going
that far back.

Buying a complete second had engine would be the easiest option, doing
it all yourself can be fun if you like it.

--
Richard
e-mail: vervang/replace invalid door/with NL.net