posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Varis Varis is offline

Default Dogs on board

Larry wrote:

Don't forget to sleep with the bucket, either. You know damned well SHE
doesn't sleep on the floor at home. She'll be scared to death when the
deck creaks under her feet every time a wave tilts it under her.

One lass I know has found out that turning on the radio can calm down
her saluki pretty much. A multi-story concrete building has enough
noises of its own to scare a dog senseless during the hours that she is
at work, meeting potential mates or doing some other suspicious
business that dog owners do when they are not attending their pride..
But it seems that the radio either masks the noises or provides an
environment with comforting human sounds.

So there are differences between breeds of dogs? Salukis are quite
timid dogs so there would be a few hurdles to clear before starting.
For starters she'd be scared of the people at the marina... when her
owner took a swim, she would stand in the water knee-deep, "whimpering
helplessly for her owner to come back". I suppose you should start
stepwise with a 'difficult' dog like this: eg. first walking trips to
the marina/piers, then visiting the boat while it's docked, then short
trips... you get the idea. I suppose even salukis would enjoy the sun
and fresh winds if they could stride around a largish, stable boat over
and over.

Risto