posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Dogs on board

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
How is your PWD holding up health wise? That is my first choice for a boat
dog but my daughter had one and he developed some skin and joint problems at
about 8 years. He lived in an apartment for 10 years but every afternoon
when the door opened he was ready to go even with his hip problems.

No problems at all so far, and we really don't expect any (knock on
wood). Prior to getting her we checked out the health of her blood
lines, including genetic tests for the several inbreeding problems
they've had. Porties have had problems, but the breeders got together
and volunteered for genetic studies that mapped out the problems.
Don't even considered a breeder that doesn't offer these reports.

I'd be curious if your daughter had this sort of info when she got hers.