Bill Deutschman Bill Deutschman is offline

Default Ascender/Descender instead of bosun's chair

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 10:33:16 -0600, "BarelyAwake"
wrote:

I was considering buying a pair of ascenders instead of a bosun's chair. I
went to the local outdoor place and the sales guy said that the ascenders
are not made for descending, that I should buy a descender to get back down
the mast. Why would an ascender not be appropriate in either direction?
Maybe a mountain climber might be able to descend faster with a descender,
but I can't see why I couldn't use the ascenders to get back down. Does
anyone have recommendations on specific hardware brands?
Thanks.

I use ascenders to go up the mast and the merchant is somewhat
correct. ascenders are designed to climb up a rope so all you have to
do is slide them upward, the cam automatically loosens its grip on the
rope and then tightens when you put force on it. To go down you have
to move it upward slightly to loosen the grip and then pull on the cam
to keep it open while you slide it downward. It can be done but it
not quite as easy as going up.

A second problem is the stretch in the halyard that you are climbing.
It needs to be very tight or the strech will cause problems going up
or down.

I climb on the mail halyard and use the spinaker halyard attached to a
climbing harness as a safety belay. The other end is around one of
the primary winchs. When I finish the job I transfer my body weight
to the spinaker halyard and have an assistant lower me on that line.
they don't have to be strong enought to lift me as they merely let the
rope slip around the winch.

Its the best and most secure way I've found to go up the mast without
having a strong person to winch me up.

bill

Bill Deutschman, PhD Providing Laser Safety Training,
Oregon Laser Consultants Safety Audits, Computer Safety
455 Hillside Avenue Programs and CDRH Certification
Klamath Falls OR 97601-2337 for Laser Users.
541.882.3295