posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default Dogs on board

How is your PWD holding up health wise? That is my first choice for a boat
dog but my daughter had one and he developed some skin and joint problems at
about 8 years. He lived in an apartment for 10 years but every afternoon
when the door opened he was ready to go even with his hip problems.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Jeff" wrote in message
Molesworth wrote:
How do people cater for dogs on voyages? How do they do the sanitation
thing? Do dogs enjoy/hate sailing?

We have a Lab/Basset cross and am wondering how she'll get on on board.

We have a Portuguese Water Dog who loves being on board. Molly learned to
use the trampoline of our catamaran even before she was housebroken. We
had some "Astroturf" that turned out to be un-necessary. The washdown hose
comes in handy.

We added a clip in the middle of the cockpit so we could keep her aboard
during docking, or when the harbor master comes for a visit. We're
expecting that someday she'll hop into a passing dinghy.

The only problem we have is that Porties are "high energy" dogs and they
really want to have a good romp on the beach at least once a day. If she
doesn't get that, she starts to go stir crazy. Fortunately, the catamaran
has enough deck space that she can run around and burn some energy that
way. She's 4 y/o now so she's starting to slow down a bit, but she would
have been impossible on a long passage two years ago.

http://www.sv-loki.com/Molly_Doodle/molly_doodle.html