JohnH JohnH is offline

Default Dogs on board

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 13:49:40 -0500, Jeff wrote:

Molesworth wrote:
How do people cater for dogs on voyages? How do they do the sanitation
thing? Do dogs enjoy/hate sailing?

We have a Lab/Basset cross and am wondering how she'll get on on board.

We have a Portuguese Water Dog who loves being on board. Molly
learned to use the trampoline of our catamaran even before she was
housebroken. We had some "Astroturf" that turned out to be
un-necessary. The washdown hose comes in handy.

We added a clip in the middle of the cockpit so we could keep her
aboard during docking, or when the harbor master comes for a visit.
We're expecting that someday she'll hop into a passing dinghy.

The only problem we have is that Porties are "high energy" dogs and
they really want to have a good romp on the beach at least once a day.
If she doesn't get that, she starts to go stir crazy. Fortunately,
the catamaran has enough deck space that she can run around and burn
some energy that way. She's 4 y/o now so she's starting to slow down
a bit, but she would have been impossible on a long passage two years
ago.

http://www.sv-loki.com/Molly_Doodle/molly_doodle.html

Nice response, and very nice web site!
***** Have a super day! *****