NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default Boat for single hander

Roger ,, I don't think the poster is talking about a day sail. I also
disagree completely with your opinion. Single hand sailing is hard work,
dangerous, lonely, etc. Just leaving whatever mooring, dock you might be
attached to is tough. Unless you have more than two arms?

Then, once released, the project of putting up the main, getting everything
together ,, et all.

And the big issue is the helm! Unless you are the first person on earth who
can be in two places at once. Someone, must steer.

I get very frustrated. One minute I'm pulling on a sheet, next I'm back
resetting the helm

After everything is done, and a course is set, with a steady wind, then
things aren't so bad. But :::: the helm! That rotten helm.

If my boat had a windvane, and the windvane worked, then I suppose I would
be able to take a rest.

At the end of the day .... the docking, mooring. I hate this. I end up
anchoring out most of the time because there is no one to help with dock
lines, etc.

The one area I agree with you on is the self confidence factor. There is a
certain feeling of "I can do it" when you are the only one doing it.

Also,, when I screw up ............. there isn't someone sitting in the
cockpit screaming at me.

I also end up preparing for most trips ahead ... Always knowing I need
more room because I am the only one on board.

I'd rather have a crewmate. Someone to help out.

=====================================
"Roger Long" wrote in message
NE Sailboat wrote:

I sail single handed ,,,,,,,,, it is really really hard.

Really? I find single handing my boat of the same size actually easier,
despite "Strider" being much quicker turning on the helm than your Bristol
32. I don't have to explain things, there's no one in the way when I need
to reach a sheet quickly, nobody ever says, "What?" with that deer in the
headlights look when something needs to be done quickly. It's very
relaxing but I do get bored with the conversation in moderate weather.

Single handing in strong winds is very rewarding. There's enough
excitement that I don't miss the conversation and it's excellent practice
and confidence building for the times you are responsible for other
people. Figuring out how to handle jib sheets and a boat without self
tailing winches and with a helm you can only let go of for seconds is
great mental exercise.

Having a good trained crew than can do everything is easiest, of course.
Being away from the sailing world for several years, I don't know a lot of
people like that and I tend also to take non-sailors because I enjoy
introducing people to the experience. My new crew was getting quite
competent towards the last couple days of the cruise this summer and it
was very enjoyable to just sit there and watch an eager and energetic
person "do this - do that". We're planning a lot more sailing next summer
and I don't think single handing will ever have quite the appeal it did
before.

--
Roger Long