Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Boat for single hander

wrote:

Most of the are rigged with all lines in the cockpit. This is important
for single handlers.

I disagree with the use of the word "important". I would not quibble with,
"convienient", "a common preference", or "important to me" but I myself
prefer certain lines on the mast.

We had a long debate here when I described re-rigging my boat that had just
about everything except the pump for the head operable from the cockpit. The
issue then was crew and it was quite amusing since I was vilified for
endangering my family by requireing them to ever leave the safety of the
cockpit. It almost got as far as implications that child welfare
authorities should be contacted. This seems to be one of those religious
issues with some folks.

Now the subject is singlehanding and, even there, I prefer to go forward.
I've got to furl and tie the main anyway and I'm handier to do that when
aready up on the cabin top than down in the cockpit. The main goes up and
down easier without the extra friction of leads aft and I can put my weight
into the hoist. Anything like a snagged jackline or stuck slide is much
more easily dealt with on the spot. It's nice to have one less big coil of
line in the cockpit as well.

I reef singlehanded frequently. It's no big deal although I roll up the jib
when doing it alone. The main reason for this is that Strider steers
herself quite well under main only. The tacks go into hooks which is
something I thought I would change immediately but it works so well that I'm
sold on it. Lower, hook, hoist, done. No extra gear or lines to further
complicate this busy area.

My reefing pendants do run back to the cockpit and can be taken to a winch
if I need more power on them. I'd prefer to do the pulling from the mast
since I'll shortly be climbing around on the cabin top tying in reef points
anyway. However, the boat is already set up with the in-boom reefing
system. It works well enough and not having all the usual gear on the boom
is nice enough that I don't feel like changing it. The geometry of a short
boom boat with deep reefs isn't conducive to the traditional set up anyway.

I do end up going back and forth between the mast and cockpit quite a bit
but it's good exercise and stretching and feels enjoyably like sailing. In
cool weather, I always feel a warm and energized after reefing or unreefing
in a way that I never would if I was just standing up and pulling on stuff
that ends at on the cabin top.

It's important to me to handle my boat this way, even when I'm alone.

--
Roger Long