Gould 0738

Default Battery Meter

If a battery is discharged to 80%, and then you put it on a float
charger at 13.2, you won't add much (if anything) to the charge state, but
because of the surface charge you will get a reading of 13.2.

If a battery has discharged to 80% and
you put it on a charger that brings it up to
13.2, nothing really happened. OK. Whatever you say. Guess one has to wait for
the battery gods to bless the charger before there's any "real" change in the
voltage.

I should have been buying lotto tickets all these years. With frequent checks
of battery electrolyte level, quarterly checks of specific gravity with a
hydrometer, and periodic terminal cleaning I thought I could trust my
voltmeter. Come to discover that my track record of never being stuck without
battery power is nothing but dumb luck.