posted to alt.sailing.asa
JimC JimC is offline

Default !!

Capt. JG wrote:
"JimC" wrote in message
. net...

Capt. JG wrote:

Yes, that's my point... I like to play what-if games when sailing...like
what if the engine dies? Can I get back to something resembling a
safe-haven without the engine... is the ebb so strong that in light winds
I'll have a problem if the engine dies...

I wonder if he contemplates reaching for the engine if there's an MOB?

That's not the way he was trained, so I don't think that's what he would
do. - More likely, he would throw a float to the mob, appoint a watch, and
quickly go through a figure-eight maneuver under sail.

Jim

He? Oh, Jim. I get it. You're going to "appoint a watch"? I wouldn't suggest
it. When is the F8 not appropriate? When is it appropriate? Should you never
use the engine? If you should, when?

A watch, meaning someone who would keep an eye on the mob. - I would
use the engine if my crappy Mac 26M couldn't come about near the mob or
was being blown all over the place by a stiff 10-mph wind.

Jim