Matt O'Toole Matt O'Toole is offline

Default pc LED screen for radar?

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 18:20:02 -0500, Charlie Morgan wrote:

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 17:06:07 -0500, Matt O'Toole
wrote:

A possible alternative is radar software or chart plotter overlay running
on your laptop. Ruggedized Panasonic Toughbook laptops have screens
viewable in daylight, with less back glow at night (through additional low
light control in software drivers). These are the laptops used by police
officers in their cars, military, telecom field workers, etc.

And they start at around $3500.

There are plenty of used and refurb'ed ones available for a few hundred
dollars, still new enough to run modern nav software.

For typical boat use, I'd rather have a used Toughbook than a new anything
else, unless my boat was really big and really dry.

Matt O.