posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default OT / My pet peeve *fatties*

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 21:15:11 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

That's a tougher question. I was part of union, and I was required to join
for a summer job. There were dues, but the benefits and the pay were pretty
good, considering I was in high school and had minimal experience. I had an
accident at work while driving a forklift... damaged a lot of expensive
equipment through no fault of my own except inexperience. If I had not been
a member of the union, I would have been fired for sure. I was slightly
injured and had to take off a couple of weeks. The salaried supervisor asked
me one time what happened. The union steward was present, and he stopped him
when he started to get mean (I'm sure his job was on the line). I was given
an opportunity to make a statement, and briefly mentioned my lack of
experience. When I returned to work, the supervisor found someone to train
me, so that it wouldn't happen again.

In another situation, I was a staff employee in a union shop (defense
contractor). The union was pretty strict about members not doing anything
beyond their job description, but tended to look the other way if you had a
good relationship with the employee/staff member. We had a situation of
another supervisor telling his subordinates (me included) that we shouldn't
fraternize with union people... exchange pleasantries and the like... I
think he was on a power trip. When this became obvious to a union member, he
basically walked off the job along with the other members in the shop until
the "rule" was rescinded.

Very difficult to believe, Jon. Considered a wildcat strike, an
unfair labor practice, and no Union that I know of would allow that
to happen. Could be held liable for any damages to the company over
the issue. If there is nothing written in the contract about the
right to fraternize then you cannot "strike" over any aspect of the
issue. If there is something in the contract about it, you would have
to go through the grievance procedure.

Frank