Cap'n Ric Cap'n Ric is offline

Default Rough estimates of miles per day sailing...

I have a 2003 Beneteau 473 which puts down about a 46' waterline and has
approximately 1,100 Sq. Ft of sail between the genoa and mainsail.

This summer I left Baltimore, Maryland on the evening of June 25th and
arrived in Castine, Maine late morning of July 1st. Five and a half days
and 550 miles later for an even 100 mile a day average. Since we stopped
and spent an entire day and a half at Great Salt Pond in Block Island, Rhode
Island we only spent four days sailing for an average of 137.5 nautical
miles a day for a 5.75 Kt average.

We averaged 10 Kt. winds from the SW to the SE so we were running or
reaching all the way except the 95 miles to clear the C&D Canal and the
Delaware Bay. We also timed the Cape Cod Canal right so we went through on
a full flood tide. At night we would take one reef in both sails. Because
you are getting pretty far north we only had darkness for 7 hours a night.

You will have to retrieve historical data on the prevailing winds for your
trip. You may also want to pull tide and current data if that affects your
journey. I had the latest NWS 96 hour weater forecasts and I knew the
prevailing winds would be SW with some swing as far as SE. I also have
weather radio, weather fax and navtex on the boat. We timed the current in
the C&D Canal, Delaware Bay and Cape Code Canal so we would have the current
with us.

Assuming you know how your boat sails at various points of sail I think you
will find that you can come very close to your estimates. We missed our
estimate on our arrival at the R2 Bell at Block Island by only 2 hours. We
arrived in Castine, Maine within 3 hours of our initial estimate.

Regards,

Cap'n Ric
USCG Licensed Captain