Steve Steve is offline

Default Rough estimates of miles per day sailing...

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 11:11:50 -0500, Gogarty
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I use 5 kts as my estimate and am happy when I do 6-7+. The later rate
isn't a problem unless it gets you to an unknown destination during the
night. So, I'd plan on 120-150 miles a day.

-- Geoff

I assume five knots, hour in and hour out, even though she will hit eight
when all is in the groove. I would never budget more than 100 nautical
miles in a 24 hour period. For every eight knot burst there's a three knot
drift.

Same here. For trip planning I always used 5kts average for a 37'
monohull and it's worked out well.

Steve