posted to alt.sailing.asa
Paladin Paladin is offline

Default OT / My pet peeve *fatties*

"Dave" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 19:33:47 -0500, "Paladin" noneofyourbusiness.www said:

I have a serious question to which I should welcome an honest reply from a
consumption tax proponent. Are you game?

Dunno that I'm necessarily such a proponent. In fact I might lean more
toward an income tax with lower rates and a lot of the subsidies designed to
effect social engineering eliminated. E.g. get rid of the home mortgage
deduction, removing the subsidy from renters to owners. Get rid of the
deduction for health insurance, or restrict it to payments for high
deductible true insurance policies, not pre-payment plans. And get rid of
the deduction for state and local taxes, so the guy out in SD isn't picking
up half my bill for state and local taxes in a high tax state like NY (or NJ
or MA).

Since you prefer to not address my question, I suppose because I should not
have addressed it to you, being you are not a proponent of a consumption tax,
is there anybody else reading this who IS a consumption tax advocate who
can intelligently address the double jeopardy aspect of the consumption tax.

I never hear it discussed and I know proponents of the tax are aware of it.
I wonder if they expect all the baby boomers to remain unaware of this glaring
fault of the consumption tax. Can it be resolved somehow? AARP alone will
not allow it as it stands. I am not totally against a consumption tax, mind you.
There just needs to be a way to avoid double taxation for it to get my vote.

Paladin
(Have gun - will travel)