posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,alt.sailing.asa
Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Electric fuel pump for a diesel

In article ,
Matt O'Toole wrote:

A 28' sailboat needs only a small day tank -- 5 gallons is plenty.

That may be too big. Our main tank is 12 gallons and except for
passage-making, that's good for a season. Motoring hard, it's 3-days'
worth, 4 at low cruise.

We have a 13 year-old Yanmar 2GM with 1200 hours on it and haven't had a
pump problem, but have a squeeze bulb and proper fittings if we need to
do serious priming. In a pinch, we can rig it to limp home.

BTW, some people haven't noticed: The Yanmar primer draws on the
upstroke, not the downstroke. Lift that lever high. Never have needed
that squeeze bulb.

--
Jere Lull