posted to alt.sailing.asa,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Dry 1 Dry 1 is offline

Default Shame and debasement

KCL Leave Alesford Lake and head to the bay. Moron is their.

KLC Lewis wrote:

"Chi Chi" wrote in message
m...
OK...after reading his explanation of the history of sailing in his
family, I addend this. WHen you take her sailing, don't ask her to do
anything. Make her as comfortable as possible. Have a bottle of wine
on board. A boc of chocolates, a good book. Ig things get dicey, don't
get mad. Just clear the decks and do what has to be done. And get your
engine fixed so it never happens again. DON'T not take her sailing when
she asks. Take fer, grit your teeth, and think of the benefits that
might come from being pleasant for the day.

Oh sure I'd bet You'd like that, being treated like royalty I suppose is
what You expect from men just because You're a female. With that type of
attitude the captain ought to throw your ass overboard. You ever hear the
word teamwork? Just like a marriage sailing is a team thing but I doubt
You comprehend that.

For what it's worth, I have this exact relationship with my husband -- he
doesn't care to learn a thing about sailing, doesn't particularly like it,
and wouldn't mind at all if I sold Escapade. Then again, he does, from time
to time, enjoy a day out on the water. So when we go sailing I treat it as
if I'm single-handing. I try to lure him into the cockpit if it's nice out
and there's something "interesting to see" (what -- just the water isn't
enough!?) but otherwise leave him to nap below or whatever he wants to do.

Granted, it's more fun when I have my sister and family aboard, because they
absolutely LOVE sailing, and want to learn about it. But you know what they
say: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't teach him to gybe."