posted to alt.sailing.asa
JimC JimC is offline

Default !!

DSK wrote:

JimC wrote:

Jeff, I don't have time to defend lawyers on this ng.

Nobody has *that* much time

JimC wrote:

.... The boat is built to be balanced, under sail or power, with the
motor and a typical crew in the cockpit.

By "balance" I meant that the hull, motor, ballast, and sails work
togther to
cause the boat to to sail and motor as efficiently as possible under a
variety
of applications. In general, it sails and powers well, it doesn't
"pitch" excessively,
and it is fun to sail.

But not as much fun as a boat that sails better.

And you have sailed the 26M how many times, Ganz?

What is pitching "excessively"? Enough to notice? Enough to cause
ridicule by other sailors?

Actually, I have sailed a number of different boats. I am familiar with
the sailing characteristics of the Beneteaux 39, the O'Day 39, the
Valiant 40, the Cal 32, and a number of others. I can assure you Ganz
that "pitching" is not a problem on the Mac 26M.

If the boat's moment of inertia is too high, then the boat sails slowly
and pitches more than it would if the weights were closer to the hull's
center of volume.

In other words, the hull, motor, and ballast, are inherently flawed in
design to enable the big heavy motor.

Yes, but they aren't flawed. And, once more, how many times have you
sailed the 26M?

JimC wrote:

The 26M is the result of years of development, feedback, and mods. It
does a lot of things most sailboats can't do.

It also doesn't do a few basic things that most sailboats do; and of
things that most sailboats do well, it does poorly.

And how many times have you sailed the 26M? How many hours?

.... If serves the needs of most sailors, under the conditions
experienced 90% of the time.

Actually, it doesn't. If it did, it would probably be more popular.

If popularity is a factor, then you lose. The Mac is one of the most
popular boats ever built.

.... It's relatively inexpensive, if you are willing to compare the
costs of new boats to new boats, or used boats to used boats, and not
compare the costs of 15 year old boats with that of a new Mac 26M
similarly equipped.

It's cheap compared to motorboats of similar cabin size. *That* is the
key selling point, plus the bonus that trailerable motorboats of similar
cabin room require a much heavier & more expensive towing vehicle.

In this case, I tow and launch the boat with a conventional Mercury
sedan. - No pickup needed. But I don't think that is the "key selling
point." The key selling points include the fact that it's fun to sail,
it's versatile, it's safe (including sufficient flotation to keep it
afloat even if the hull is compromised, it can be used as a coastal
sailor or power boat, it has five berths, it can float in one foot of
water, it can motor out to a desired sailing area quickly, and motor
back quickly, to permit more sailing time, it's dagger board, motor, and
rudders can be adjusted as desired for particular sailing conditions,
the ballast can be removed to reduce the weight of the boat for
tailoring, it can be launched in very little water (in contrast to many
"trailerable" boats), it rides low on the trailer, providing safer
trailering, it includes a rotatable mast, permanent ballast plus
removable water ballast, roomy cabin with standing headroom, etc., etc.
Also, it's fun to sail.

Jim

And, (I almost forgot) it's a lot of fun to sail.

If you're not picky.

DSK