Gilligan Gilligan is offline

Default Westsail 32 - opinions

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

"DSK" wrote in message

Maxprop wrote:

FWIW almost any boat that didn't have major leaks is likely to survive a
really bad storm, provided she doesn't encounter a really bad combination
of waves by chance. OTOH, if the luck is really bad, nothing is going to
survive no matter how heavy.

From the damage sustained by that boat, it was assumed that the waves had
rolled it several times, or perhaps pitchpoled the boat. Are you implying
that, say, a Hunter 30 built during the same general period would have
fared as well?

A friend had one for years, and while I used to blow him a lot of crap
about it, it really was a boat of some merit. In light air it could be
terribly frustrating. Under 10kts. it generally sailed along at 3kts.
or so and just didn't seem to 'free up.' It was not particularly
weatherly in such winds, leading one to use the diesel to weather in
anything under 15kts.

Your friend must have had good sails, a lightly loaded boat, and been a
good sailor. I've never seen one move at all under sail when there were't
whitecaps.

You must not have had much experience with them. His was an
owner-finished boat. The interior was gorgeous, but no concession was
made to light weight joinerwork. Everything was teak and overbuilt below
as well. My friend's sails were new when I first sailed with him, and he
indeed was a fine sailor, and the boat moved very well in 15kts.

However when the wind blew (15kts. and above) it came into its element.
We often beat longer, faster boats, such as C&C 34s and 36s to weather,
and on beam or close reaches.

?? ??
You're joking. Or the other boats were anchored.

No joke. If I had a dollar for every time we passed faster, leaner boats
under those conditions, especially around 20kts. or better, I wouldn't be
rich, but I could probably buy a new pair of Topsiders. Above 15kts. the
lightweight boats reduce sail. The Wetsnail (sloop, in this case) carried
full sail to 40kts. with my friend at the helm. I typically reduced sail
a bit sooner, but then I prefer to keep a boat on its feet.

Max

Just think of all that excess loading on the sails and rigging.