Maxprop Maxprop is offline

Default Westsail 32 - opinions

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

For a solo sailor, or a not-overly-large couple,
the boat is perfect.

I agree to some degree, but your boat is really quite capable of an
ocean voyage, is also very solidly built and is a LOT more fun to sail.

The question comes as to whether the W32 is overbuilt or grotesquely
overbuilt. An off the rack Caliber or Island Packet is probably just as
capable, more fun to sail and a lot more pleasing to be aboard much of
the time.

Those would also be one hell of a lot more expensive. The nicest aspect of
W32s these days is their prices.

Of course I'm a Long Island Sound sailor where such boats,
even Cape Dory's are thought of as motorsailors. Finally...does one buy
a vessel for typcial sailing conditions or the Perfect Storm?

That was my point in a nutshell. I wouldn't own a boat of the W32's nature,
primarily because most of my sailing is daysailing and week-long cruising at
this point. But the Passport 40 we've been looking at would still be my
choice for offshore work.

Max