Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Westsail 32 - opinions

"KLC Lewis" wrote in message
et...

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...

For a solo sailor, or a not-overly-large couple,
the boat is perfect.

I agree to some degree, but your boat is really quite capable of an
ocean voyage, is also very solidly built and is a LOT more fun to sail.

The question comes as to whether the W32 is overbuilt or grotesquely
overbuilt. An off the rack Caliber or Island Packet is probably just as
capable, more fun to sail and a lot more pleasing to be aboard much of
the time. Of course I'm a Long Island Sound sailor where such boats,
even Cape Dory's are thought of as motorsailors. Finally...does one buy
a vessel for typcial sailing conditions or the Perfect Storm?

Robert B
Beneteau 35s5
NY

The average boater buys for "typical sailing conditions," then lives in
fear of getting caught out in anything stronger than 15 knots. I'll take
the Wetsnail over a modern putty boat any day of the week, and twice on
Sundays.

Out here, the typical sailing conditions are 20kts or more, and it's not
that unusual to see over 30kts in the summer months. I dread the days when
they're under 10kts, although it does make for excellent scenary/photography
for guests.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com