posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default Knots being phased out?

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 02:06:20 GMT, keith_nuttle
wrote:

I am just a chemist that likes to sail and have spent all of my time on
inland lakes.

I thought it was latitude but could be longitude, but I do remember that
the diameter of the earth at the equator in in knots is equal to 360 X 60.

A Knot is a unit of speed, not distance, and the distance you are
calculating would be the circumference, not the diameter.

The circumference of the earth at the equator is approximately 360 x
60 nautical miles.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca