posted to rec.boats.electronics,rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Chuck Gould Chuck Gould is offline

Default Knots being phased out?

Oliver Fleming wrote:
Hi,
I have been told that all new equipment, chartplotters, speedometers and
the like will not have knots as a speed option.
Knots will be phased out and KPH will be the new standard for marine
equipment.

Has anybody heard of this?

If so where?

Some links please if available.

Thanks
Oliver Fleming

I can see it now:

A CA or EUR boat shopper looks at a runabout.

Shopper: One little thing that bothers me is that the speedometer reads
in kph, rather than knots. Is there an option to get a speedometer that
reads in knots?

Unprofessional salesperson: Oh no. Of course not. Didn't you know that
all new navigation equipment will eliminate knots as a unit of
measurement and the new worldwide standard will be kph?

****

Sometimes a depth sounder is appropriate in the showroom, where it has
been known to get piled up pretty deep indeed. :-)