scott scott is offline

Default Mosquito Net, or Whatever to cover the companionway .. question

Several good suggestions from others so far, but on Itchen we've found that
mosquitoes are not the only problem when cruising SW FLorida and the
Abacos - no-see-ums can be a big nuisance around dusk.
After buying mosquito netting from a sporting goods store and draping it
over all open hatchways we found it 100% effective against mosquitoes BUT
next to useless against "no-see-ums". On the suggestion of a store clerk we
went to a local JoAnn's Fabric store and bought a few yards of voile --
costs next to nothing.
This was 100% effective against everything and still allowed decent air
circulation. Saleslady commented that she had been selling a lot of it
lately to cruising folk! .Another very effective tip, again from a Florida
sporting goods store clerk, was to get a can of pyrethrum-based spray-on
mosquito killer and spray it lightly on portlight screens and the mosquito
netting. When the no-see-ums land and try to crawl through the screen mesh,
they die. As for burning mosquito coils, they are helpful -- but if used in
excess down-below in a closed space they are not good for your health.

Scott

SNIP I want to be prepared this summer .::: what do you all do about
the
companionway to keep out the mosquitos?

I have been thinking of making a couple of companionway sliding screens
.. haven't figured out the method yet.

Any help? Thoughts?
SNIP