Harlan Lachman Harlan Lachman is offline

Default Mosquito Net, or Whatever to cover the companionway .. question

In article ,
Dave wrote:

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 21:54:05 GMT, "NE Sailboat" said:

I have been thinking of making a couple of companionway sliding screens ..
haven't figured out the method yet.

For a very few bucks, you can buy a netting cover for a baby carriage, and
unless you're unlucky it can be stretched over the companionway and top of
the hatch rather nicely. I use one of the hatch boards to hold the bottom in
place.

Second alternative: For the forward hatch, go to a camping store and pick up
one of those netting covers designed to be hung over a cot. Drape it over
the forward hatch.

Third alternative: At marine stores you can pick up of about $70 a
rectangular piece of netting with lead weights sewn into the seams on three
edges, and cords to tie the front of the netting to your grab rail.

I had my 12 year old daughter make one of these with cheapo chain,
outdoor fabric, and mosquito netting. It was very effective, extremely
cheap, and she thought it looked cool.

For the hatchway, we duct taped oversized mosquito netting to the fixed
top of the open hatchway which allowed us to get maximum airflow, close
the hatch from inside if it rained without mucking up the screen, and
easily exiting in case someone was having a gas attack ;-)

I don't like the idea of a hatchboard in the companionway because you
cannot leave the hatch cover open and I love ventilation in the summer
especially if I am sharing the space with another person.

Harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?