posted to alt.sailing.asa
Walt Walt is offline

Default OT / My pet peeve *fatties*

DSK wrote:

Dave wrote:

So, Jon, to be a "fair share," what percentage of total income taxes
should
be paid by:

The top 5% in income earners?

5% of total income earned in the nation

The top 10% in income earners?

10% of total income earned in the nation

The top 50% in income earners?

50% of total income earned in the nation

Actually, the tax should be slightly skewed progressively (ie the top
earners pay more) because they gain more from the system. That's the way
the system is now, except that the max skew occurs in the people in the
50 - 75% brackets... about 5% skewed as I recall.

The problem lies in that the tax rate changes depening on how you make
the money. If you *earn* it by *working* it's taxed at a higher rate
than if you obtain it without working. That's my main beef with the tax
system.

A guy who busts his ass working as a plumber or a ditch digger pays a
higher rate than a guy who makes much more flipping condos or bonds.
And the guy who makes money flipping condos in turn pays a higher rate
than the lucky offspring of the well to do who "earn" their fortune
simply by virtue of outliving their parents.

Plus, workers whose salary is more than $90k don't pay FICA on the
amount over that. If you make money via dividends or capital gains, no
FICA is due at all.

//Walt