posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default OT / My pet peeve *fatties*

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 16:43:46 -0500, DSK wrote:

Frank Boettcher wrote:
Sure it does, they are making a choice between Budweiser, Miller,
Coors, Sam Adams, etc... The advertising doesn't necessarily make them
buy or consume more beer.

I don't think we're speaking the same language here. Are you
saying that that, for example, mouthwash advertising oesn't
make people paranoid about bad breath? Car ads don't glorify
fast driving (and roads with no traffic)? Perhaps I should
ask you to explain what effect you think advertising *does*
have.

Nope I'm saying that you won't necessarily eat more food because of
advertising, but you certainly might be swayed into eating the wrong
food, disallowing room for the right food.

If you have made a choice of what car to buy as a result of
advertising or your own method for making that decision you don't go
out and buy three more because they are advertised. And no, if you
stopped all advertising cold I believe those people who drive fast
would continue to do so.

Despite the fact that I don't think they work in most cases, If you
think you have halitosis and need a mouthwash, you don't buy every
brand available because they are advertised. And I don't believe the
advertising causes you to think you have bad breath (paranoia). I
believe bad breath preceded mouthwash.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Madison Avenue, just don't
believe they are a primary cause for or more appropriately an excuse
for an individuals lack of personal responsibility or discipline.

You say it works and maybe it does, however, It doesn't work on me so
I don't have that perspective. I generally purchase to fill a need,
and am affected by advertising to the extent that it provides a source
to be evaluated. I never, ever, believe the ad. without the
additional evaluation.

Frank

DSK