Doug Kanter

Default Cuban Boating

"Dave Hall" wrote in message

This is getting convoluted again, so I'll try and distill what I believe
you're saying. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) You think it's wrong that migrant workers come here from Latin

America
illegally.

What part of ILLEGAL, is so hard to understand? Are we free to enter
other countries and work there, without following some sort of process?
Why should the U.S. not have a similar policy and expect everyone to
follow it?

2) Although email bulletins allow you to keep tabs on what your

legislators
are doing, you do nothing proactive to change the situation with migrant
workers, except complain about it.

That's exactly what I do, to my legislators. I get a nice form response
(most likely prepared by an illegal immigrant office worker) along the
lines of "thank you for sharing your viewpoints with us.......

Pick up the phone, call your legislator's office, and set up an appointment
for a meeting. It's easy. You may have to wait a bit, but you WILL get to
meet the person.

3) You happily continue to reap the benefits of having cheap labor from
Latin America, without which you'd either have produce priced 2-4 times
higher, or a selection of produce representing about 25% of what you now
have, particularly in the winter. Probably both.

So what's your point? Is your point that you'd gladly break the law, if
it saves you money and puts more American workers out of a job? What's
different about this practice than that of outsourcing?

How many times does this need repeating: One reason farmers hire migrants is
that they cannot find Americans willing to do this kind of work. They come
here because there's demand, and because compared to the risks involved in
crossing the border, the work itself is relatively safe.