Rod McInnis

Default Car topping boat

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
. com...
Hi All,

I was wondering what is the largest 4 stroke outboard (in CA) that I can

put
in the back of my pickup and then move a few feet to mount on my boat.

You should have an idea of how much weight is your limit, but keep in mind
that there will be several situations that you have to deal with.

Most people would be able to "lift" a lot more than they could "carry". If
you just need to lift it from the bed of the truck to a wagon on the ground
then you can go with something a lot heavier.

If you have to lug this thing down a dock or similar then you will either
need to get a cart of some sort or a very light motor.

Being able to lift the motor is a lot easier than being able to position it
just right. Holding it in an awkward position while you ease it down on the
transom of the boat may really put a strain on your back.

I have a 9.9 Hp two stroke engine that I use on my dinghy. I can carry this
around the big boat and mount it on the inflatable from the swim platform.
Weighing in at about 68 pounds it is about as heavy as I would care to work
with. I can lift more, and carry more, but I would probably drop something
heavier overboard in the process of getting it on the transom.

You can get creative with your rig to come up with better ways to deal with
the heavy motor. If you have a rack on the top of your truck to carry the
boat then you could mount a beam of some sort that could extend back a few
feet. Throw a pulley on this and use a winch/comealong/rope hoist to do the
heavy lifting. In other words, get the size motor that fits your needs,
then work out a suitable solution to save your back.