posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats.building,uk.rec.sailing,uk.rec.boats.motor
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default 2 stroke / 4 stroke advice

As to the 100:1 oilers...no thanks. 50:1 is too thin to oil crankcase
bearings, no matter now much greenies and the EPA hype it. When I sold
my 1997 Mercury Sport Jet 175hp-powered Sea Rayder, all 6 cylinders were
within 5 pounds of their original compression and ran great on 40:1
PREMIX, the troublesome Mercury plastic oil injection pump and system
having been removed as soon as I found out about the 2nd recall blowing
powerheads with NO LUBRICATION. That boat's still running and the engine
had well over 1000 hours on it....on PREMIX.

I haven't seen any evidence to support this. Only outboards I've messed
with have been either 50:1 or 100:1, one of the latter is still going
strong at over 15 years old, and my V115 uses 50:1 and it still runs
great despite being almost 40 years old. Just how long do these things
have to last? Why use more oil than needed? That stuff is $$$.