posted to rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] kim.toms@gmail.com is offline

Default VHF/GPS

I doubt that the Rino can be hacked to provide marine VHF. It is a UHF
radio, although it has weather band as well. The antenna would be the
wrong size, and these radios are not intended to have interchangeable
antennas. I have two of the 530 units, and like them very much.

wrote:
I have a small sailboat (V15) on SF bay. I am looking for a VHF/GPS for
training when I am not with other boats. The water is very cold and so
I need a radio, and then I found out some have GPS with them. I want to
be able to have speed read-outs and be able call for help if needed. I
found two so far. The Uniden Mystic, and the Garmin Rino.

I like the Rino better because of Barometer and it saves Speed records,
but I can't figure out if it does Marine VHF, or if there is a Hack to
make it do Marine VHF.

So 3 Questions:

Can the Uniden Mystic save speed data and moved to the computer?

Can the Rino be hacked to provide Marine Radio VHF?

Is there any other options available?

Thanks in advance,

Alex