posted to rec.boats.electronics
chuck chuck is offline

Default Adding-on to 110v shore power system.

Electricky Dicky wrote:

My point was that the 30A connector and therefore probably 30A cable
FROM the Y are protected by a 50A breaker. Just had a google and seen
a Marinco AF1 which is I assume is the type of gizmo you are
discussing.
Recipe for disaster IMHO. Though probably thousands in the field (or
shoreside).
Unless each leg is fused? But that is not discussed on the site I saw.

Richard

I did misunderstand your point. Sorry. Seems I just can't get on the
right wavelength in this thread.

Certainly the NEC would not allow a 50A breaker to protect a 30A branch
circuit. But using 30A cables on 50A receptacles is sort of like using
an extension cord rated at 15 amps on a residential branch circuit
protected with a 30A breaker. Not the smartest thing to do, but probably
just as common as what happens with a lot of shore power connections at
marinas.

I guess UL rates residential extension cords and the NEC jurisdiction
stops at the receptacle. There is some disagreement on whether the NEC
stops at the marina's shore power pedestal but most seem to believe it
does not.

Legalities aside, the 10 ga. wire in typical marine-type 30A cords is
not rated for 50A and really should not be connected to a 50A breaker.

Chuck