posted to rec.boats.electronics
Electricky Dicky Electricky Dicky is offline

Default Adding-on to 110v shore power system.

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 15:13:36 -0500, chuck wrote:

OK, now that I'm awake, I'll try to be more lucid.

Snip

Richard's point about using a 30A cable with a 50A receptacle is
troubling. If that is what you are doing, there is a real risk that the
30A cable could short, cause a fire, etc., without the 50A shore power
breaker tripping! The Y connection would be much safer.

Apologies for the false start.

Chuck

My point was that the 30A connector and therefore probably 30A cable
FROM the Y are protected by a 50A breaker. Just had a google and seen
a Marinco AF1 which is I assume is the type of gizmo you are
discussing.
Recipe for disaster IMHO. Though probably thousands in the field (or
shoreside).
Unless each leg is fused? But that is not discussed on the site I saw.

Richard

Nb "Pound Eater" Parkend G+S